Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Avalanche - Poetic Expression

Avalanche
By Eric Beach

I’m on a snow covered mountain.
I look out across frozen waves of white winter.
Sleeping life lies dormant under blankets of snow,
Alive in my mind only through memory.
 
The air stings my face.
It slaps my senses and cries,
Why are you out here?
I’m looking for something.
 
Scanning below the horizon,
I see it.
A village.
At its center,
A fire.
 
Wood burning,
Energy releasing its potential.
Hope,
Take away colds sting.
 
I forget myself,
I clap and shout, this is it!
Exuberance fills me.
I’ve found what I’ve spent my life looking for.
 
As my echo fades, another sound rises.
Deep Creaks introduce a low rumble.
I look behind me and up the mountain.
Avalanche.
 
I stand on a board made from my wounds.
My boots bound to it.
Left foot stands in courage,
Right foot stands in vulnerability.
Pointing my everything towards the village,
I ride.
 
Before me, clear, unmolested snow.
A future umarred waiting for me to touch it.
It begs me to leave my mark.
Behind me the roar of fear, doubt,
And the screams of past failure.
 
The snow crashes through trees,
Snapping the sturdy pine,
They cry out, you can’t!
I almost listen.
 
I fight the urge to look back.
I am faster than fear,
Faster than doubt,
Faster than past failure,
Because I’m driven by wounds, courage,
and vulnerability and Gravity pulls towards
the fire of hope and purpose.
 
I leave tracks of gold.
The avalanche can’t tell me where to go
If it doesn’t catch me.
Only if I turn, look and slow down
Will I allow fear to steer.
 
Once you’re surrounded, freedom dwindles.
Your lane narrows, options fade, direction lessens,
Air thins, and you suffocate.
Laid to rest deep beneath the sheets of icy regret
And self-fulfilling prophecy.
 
Eyes straight, block out the noise,
It offers no benefit to listen.
Look where you’re going, lean into it,
Feel the burn in your legs,
And fight through to freedom.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment